Monday, May 15, 2006

Caramelized Bananas on Vanilla Ice Cream

This is an adapted (and simplified) version of several different recipes I have seen/read/tasted. I served it to my family for our Mother's Day lunch for my Mom and both of my grandmothers.

Caramelized Bananas on Vanilla Ice Cream:
(serves as many as you would like, adjust quantities as needed)

Sliced bananas
Salted butter (about 4-6 tablespoons)
Light brown sugar (about 1 cup)
2 tbs dark rum (optional)
Fresh mint sprigs (for garnish)
Vanilla ice cream

Directions:
Melt butter (I used salted because I like the salty/sweet contrast, but use whatever you prefer) in a hot sauté pan, add banana slices. Sauté bananas until they begin to soften and turn golden brown. Add brown sugar slowly around bananas. Simmer mixture until it is a bubbly caramel sauce. Add rum (if you like) being careful of flare ups. Simmer until rum has integrated into the caramel. Or, if your insurance is solid and you like a touch of drama, pour on the run tableside and light the dish on fire. Your call.

Pour over vanilla ice cream, garnish with a mint sprig, and serve immediately.

No comments: