Friday, August 25, 2006

Easy Mushroom Risotto

This is an easy way to make mushroom risotto, and it's virtually impossible to mess up.

Mushroom Risotto:
(serves 2-4)
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup sherry
2 cups beef (or chicken) broth, reduced sodium, warmed over medium heat
1 shallot
1 small onion
2 tbs butter
2 tbs olive oil
8 oz sliced mushrooms
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
2 tbs fresh, chopped parsley

Directions:
Heat saute pan over medium-high heat. Melt butter and add olive oil. Add chopped shallots and onion, cook until softened slightly. Add mushrooms and cook until softened. If pan is entirely dry, add 1 tbs more of olive oil. Add arborio rice and stir, cook until the rice begins to be translucent on the ends. Once this happens, add sherry and stir.

Once sherry is absorbed completely, add 1/2 cup of broth at a time, stirring the entire time. Once all liquid is absorbed, add another 1/2 cup of broth. Continue stirring and adding broth until the rice is creamy and cooked through. Stir in grated cheese if using. Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve garnished with fresh, chopped parsley.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

Just thought I'd leave a comment because no one yet has said how lovely this risotto is.. I cooked it for my family, first time that I have EVER made risotto as my mum hates creamy rice, but she and my brother LOVED it and I'm cooking it again tonight (I cooked it first a couple weeks ago). I'm 18 by the way, proof that barley anyone can stuff it up. I did substitue a few ingredients however, I didn't have sherry so I used red wine instead, and I added garlic and extra mushrooms.
Thanks for the recipe :)

Joanne said...

Love this - used it tonite & a german chef gave it high marks (& if u know germans -they dont give out compliments lightly) such a wonderfully easy recipe
Thanks for posting it

Serena Star Leonard said...

I have made this a couple of times now, yummy yummy! I use different types of mushrooms each time and extra rice and stock.

Thanks!!

consejo comprar yate said...

This is all erroneous what you're writing.