Sunday, September 17, 2006

My first souffle: Strawberry Rum Souffle

This is my first attempt at a souffle, and after reading and being inspired by this recipe in Food and Wine, I realized it could be an easy, healthy dessert.

Problem - I made it in my boyfriend's apartment, with no mixer. Needless to say, the egg whites didn't get quite stiff enough, and my arm will be sore for a week, but it still worked. The photo was taken after the souffle deflated, but it looked lovely when fully puffed up.

This would be great with raspberries and Chambord, or any combination. As I get better at souffle-making, I'll upload a prettier picture.

Strawberry-Rum Souffle:
makes 6

3 large egg whites
3 cups strawberries, chopped
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs cornstarch mixed with 1 tbs water into a slurry
1 tbs rum
Berries, for garnish

Directions:
Heat oven to 400. Combine berries, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, rum and water in a saucepan, simmer until strawberries are disolved and the mixture looks like a sauce. Mix in the cornstarch mixture, simmer until thickened. Remove from heat, let stand at room temperature.

Meanwhile, whip egg whites. Slowly add the other 1/2 cup sugar. Continue whipping until peaks appear.

Spread a tablespoon of fruit mixture on the bottom of each ramekin. Fold the remaining fruit mixture into the egg whites gently. Pour into prepared ramekins. Bake 6 minutes, or until done.

No comments: