Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins


The best pumpkin muffin recipe has always been my moms, and when I set out to find a good one to make my first pumpkin muffins, none seemed to compare. The food magazines tried to get too creative in an attempt to create original recipes and the addition of too many sweet/nutty/chunky things takes away from the simple goodness of a pumpkin muffin.

So, as old-fashioned as it comes (not meaning my mom of course), this is a Mennonite recipe from a favorite cookbook that I think she bought in Indiana or Pennsylvania - Mom, if you are reading, post a comment with the name of the cookbook? I substituted dried cranberries for raisins and made them mini - but they tasted just like yours. Love you Mom!

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins:
(makes 12 regular muffins, 24 mini muffins, can be doubled)

2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 c sugar (scant)
3/4 c oil (scant)
3/4 c pumpkin puree
1.5 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
2 tbs brown sugar (or as needed)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 and grease your muffin tin lightly. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, fold in cranberries.

Pour into prepared muffin tin.

Sprinkle tops with a little brown sugar and bake for 7-10 minutes for mini muffins, 15-20 for regular muffins. Serve warm, or let come to room temperature and store in airtight container.

1 comment:

My Great Family, My Great Life said...

My mother-i-law made these for us but with Chocolate chips, they were sooooo goood!, I quickly stoll this recipe and told all my friends about it. Ronda