Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Red Currant Jam


When I saw a little carton of red currants at Trader Joe's for the first time, I couldn't resist buying them. Having no plan but adoring their cute mini-grapeness and cranberry-esque color, they came home with me.

I ended up making a simple jam, which I ate with Brie and water crackers. It was tart and sweet and such a good partner for the Brie (although what isn't delicious with brie?) I think it would also be great as a sauce for meat, similar to a cranberry sauce.

Red Currant Jam:
(makes about 1/2 c)

1 small carton red currants
1/4 c brandy
2 tbs sugar (or to taste)

Directions:
Stem the currants, allow to come to a boil with other ingredients, simmer until desired thickness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, red currant jam and brie...yummy!

Anonymous said...

What a decadent little snack. Looks delicious!

Kirsten said...

Hi Peabody & Kristen...

I wish I had been able to invite you both over for the red currant jam/brie fest. I also had some good wine open.

I had Monday off work and watching the Top Chef marathon with this snack and good wine, simply heaven :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

The currants are gorgeous!

I did the same "in the heat of the moment" thing with blackberries last week, Kirsten. I ended up eating them all before I could think of a recipe. lol

This jam is the perfect match for brie - I love it!

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I have ever seen fresch currants in the store...I will keep my eye open now1

Kirsten said...

Hi Sandi! That was my first time seeing fresh currants too - couldn't resist buying them.