Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Slow Roasted Mexican-Spiced Pork


Much to the annoyance of my boyfriend Brian - ever the traditionalist - I thought a big Mexican-inspired pork roast with hints of garlic-pepper spices served with tortillas, homemade salsa and guacamole would the perfect laid-back, serve yourself Super Bowl food. I think everyone (except him) agreed.

This recipe is inspired by a recipe for Mayan-Style Pit Pork (Cochinita Pibil) from Silvana Salcido Esparza from Barrio Cafe, one of my favorite restaurants in Phoenix with authentic (no chips and salsa and side of beans and rice in this place) gourmet Mexican cuisine.

It took just minutes to put together and then I could forget about it, and it serves a crowd. Juicy and tender, I am happily still eating leftovers. Sorry for lack of photos - we were too busy watching the game, socializing, eating and drinking!

Slow Roasted Mexican-Spiced Pork:
(serves 8-10 as a part of a meal)

5 lb pork shoulder roast (preferably boneless, but doesn't matter)
3-4 large dried guajillo chili peppers, seeds removed, chopped
4-6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
Juice from 2 blood oranges (about 1/4 c)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp Mexican dried oregano
1 c beer (or less, depends on cooking method)

Directions:
There are 2 ways to do this.

1. Oven Roasted Method:
Salt and pepper pork roast. Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients with 1 cup beer in a food processor or blender until a cohesive sauce comes together (no chunks). Pour over roast and let slow roast in the oven, covered with foil, at 300 for 8 hours.

2. Crock Pot Method:
Salt and pepper pork roast. Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients with 1/2 cup beer in a food processor or blender until sauce forms (no chunks). Pour over roast and let cook in slow cooker on high for 6-8 hours.

To serve:
Shred roast with 2 forks and serve with tortillas, salsa, limes, cilantro, shredded cabbage or lettuce, guacamole or anything you want.

6 comments:

TasteTV said...

Just the description of that pork is making me hungry. (from Kevin at http://www.TasteTV.com)

Anonymous said...

I wish I was at your Super Bowl shin dig. That sounds like a perfect match... football and pork! Yummy!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

There is something so soothing about eating really good authentic Mexican food. The blood orange juice and oregano make a fabulous combination!

Kirsten said...

I'm so glad you all stopped to comment. Thanks!

I am still eating leftovers...next year, you need to come on the day of and help out with eating all the food!

arianoreppucci said...

I love the pork at Barrio Cafe...I was actually looking for a recipe to match it when I stumbled upon your website. Thanks!

sex shop tienda said...

Thanks for this article, really useful piece of writing.