Friday, July 06, 2007

Asparagus Goat Cheese Omelet


Wednesday was a holiday and I don't work on Friday during the summer and I took Thursday off, so I am in the midst of a blissfully long weekend.

Taking full advantage, I had my parents over for brunch this morning. We had such a lovely time catching up and they came bearing delicious berries and a beautiful bunch of flowers. Thanks Mom & Dad!

I served the omelets with the berries and a tea blend from Souvia Tea, a great little local tea store that sells more tea blends than I could have imagined. This one is my favorite. It's aptly named Afternoon Delight as it is a delightful blend of black and green teas with orange peel, lemon, cinnamon and ginger.

Asparagus Goat Cheese Omelet:
(makes 2 omelets)

2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
Glug of cream, milk or half and half (about 1/4 c)
1/4 c goat cheese
1 lb asparagus tips, cut into pieces
1 tbs fresh chives, snipped into small pieces
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil as needed

Directions:
Saute asparagus in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned. Remove from heat and reserve.

Mix eggs and milk/cream with a whisk. Heat a saute pan, add olive oil and pour half of the egg mixture into pan. It should be a thin layer. Allow to cook until firm on the bottom. Add half the goat cheese in little chunks, then the asparagus and a pinch of chives. Fold one half over the other, season with salt and pepper. Remove and keep warm while you make the second omelet. Slice and serve, tossing a few more chives on for garnish.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks delicious and I'm so jealous of your long weekend! I work from home on Fridays (and other days as needed) but its just not the same as having the day off. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Nora B. said...

It's nice that you had an enjoyable time with your parents. I love goat cheese in tarts so I'm sure that I'll like this omelete. Thanks Kirsten.

Kelly-Jane said...

Cheese really makes an omlette, mmm.

Peabody said...

I love asparagus and goat cheese together.
Are you melting yet? It's hot here so I can only imagine what you are down there.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a delicious idea for an omelet!
I hope you enjoyed your long weekend and your Monday isn't too grueling.

Kirsten said...

Thanks Christine!! It was SUCH a nice long weekend!!

Nora - the goat cheese was so good. It was a first for me too, but something I will do again.

Thanks Kelly-Jane!

Peabody....it is soooo hot. This week was the first week that I was really feeling the heat. Ugh!!

Thanks Kristen!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I adore omelets and what a delicious combination of flavors you have here, sweetie!