Tuesday, July 10, 2007
What to Do With Asparagus
When I was in DC last month, I met a new acquaintance, Erika, while dining at the bar of this lovely restaurant. I was alone, so I chatted with her and her dining companion about Rioja wines, the house-made caramels, the challenges of immigration issues in our country, Erika's darling dog and lots more.
We have emailed a bit since and she had a question/challenge for me. She said she never knows what to do with asparagus.
I know that asparagus season is nearly over, but here is my round-up, just for Erika, on what to do with asparagus. Please, anyone reading - post in the comments with your asparagus recipes. We can always save these for next year's asparagus season!
Ways to Cook Asparagus:
(serves as many as you need)
Oven-roasted, Grilled or Sauteed:
* Olive oil, salt and pepper
* Butter, salt and pepper
* White or black truffle oil, salt and pepper
* Citrus (juice of 1 large pink grapefruit or other sweet citrus), olive oil, salt and pepper
* Sesame (sesame oil, soy sauce, pinch brown sugar, salt and pepper), top with toasted sesame seeds for serving
* Barbecue (chili powder, cumin, cayenne, brown sugar, black pepper, paprika, salt, etc. dusted), drizzle with olive oil
* Sweet & Spicy, toss with cayenne and brown sugar, drizzle with olive oil
* Pouch Cooking, wrap asparagus with a few ice cubes, chunks of cold butter, lemon slices and salt and pepper in foil, grill or roast just until done and a sauce forms
* Lightly blanch (drop into boiling water) asparagus, wrap with prosciutto
* Steam just until bright green and softened, serve with easy blender hollandaise sauce
Recipes from Other Bloggers:
* A quite inspiring recipe for Grilled Asparagus with Double Lemon and Parmesan from Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen
* A brilliant collaboration from the new cookbook, Super Natural Cooking, from Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks and Elise of Simply Recipes for Asparagus Pesto with Pasta
* From I'm Mad and I Eat, Buttered Asparagus
* A beautiful Asparagus Eggs Benedict from Alanna of A Veggie Venture
* Lovely Asparagus Soup and an Asparagus Tart from Freya and Paul of Writing at the Kitchen Table