Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce


I got back from camping days ago, but I am just getting around to some cooking because I must admit this has been a killer week.

Not a killer week like I am so productive and successful and appreciated at work. More like why bother showing up since everyone hates what I do anyway. Ok, so it's not quite that bad, but sometimes it feels that way.

Following the bad day duo, Brian took me to happy hour last night for a large glass of Pinot Grigio, I did some impromptu shopping and bought not one but two new bags, took a sudsy and indulgent bubble bath and had more wine and today all was good again in the world.

Now, back to cooking. This recipe has no story, no inspiration, it just sounded good and I felt like experimenting with a crazy marinade and sauce. It turned out great and made enough that tomorrow night I'll make it for my best girlfriends for our girls' get together after work.

Food on a stick = happiness.

Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce:
(serves 6-8 as a light appetizer, 2-4 as an entree)

2.5 lbs top round or other cut beef (flank steak or skirt steak works great here)
1/2 c sake
3 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs ponzu
2 tbs hoisin
Juice of 1 lime
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp crushed ginger

Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce:
1/2 c peanut butter
Juice of 2 limes
1-2 tbs warm water
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs hoisin
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp ponzu
1 tsp chili sauce (siracha or similar)
1 tsp honey
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
3-4 crushed cloves garlic
1 tbs crushed fresh ginger
2 tbs chopped cilantro

Directions:
Cut beef into long thin strips (slightly frozen beef is much easier to cut), marinate in sauce for 1 hour or overnight. Meanwhile, mix sauce ingredients, blend or food process into a smooth sauce, adding water and/or sauce components until you like the consistency and taste.

Next, slide the beef strips onto skewers and cook on a heated grill for approximately 1 minute per side. Remove from heat and serve with dipping sauce and a green salad. The sauce can serve as a spicy dressing for the salad.

12 comments:

lululu said...

Another perfect example of turning anger into energy which empowers your work!!!!

Anh said...

This is such a nice dish. I love it!

Deborah said...

This sounds really good!! My husband doesn't like peanut sauces, but I'm sure I could make this plus another sauce on the side and we would both be happy!

Janet said...

This looks really good. Can you believe I've never really tried anything with a peanut sauce? Maybe it's time to change that!

Patricia Scarpin said...

These would be a hit with the men of my family, Kirsten! :)

Unknown said...

I'm always looking for new appetizer ideas - this looks great! And I agree with Patricia - the men will love it.

Peabody said...

Food on a stick does equal happiness. Hope you have a better week next week.

Mo said...

Funny, I don't like peanut butter, but I could "drink" Thai/Asian peanut sauce. Satay is such an impressive and tasty appetizer.

Hope your week ends on a better note!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! This looks great.
I hope that your week got better.
I had a day like that last week as well and luckily it got better! Hope yours did too.

Anonymous said...

nice recipes.
have a nice day

Mona said...

i love this dish and check out my recepie too, its little diffrent but iis just as tasty as yours.
http://www.neelscorner.com/beef-satay-sticks-with-peanut-dipping-sauce/

sex shop said...

This will not work as a matter of fact, that's what I consider.