Sunday, August 12, 2007

Grilled Basil Shrimp with Raspberry-Chipotle Dipping Sauce


I met two dear blogging friends yesterday for a 2.5 hour spicy Thai food feast, followed by a market excursion. It may sound silly, but a 4+ hour food and friend activities is my version of heaven.

Thanks Mo and Chrissy!! A repeat is in order. :)

Post-Thai food spicy heat euphoria, we went to Sprouts, a local market, where we stocked up on produce, colossal shrimp, halibut, wine, etc. Maureen provided fresh herbs from her garden (the basil for this recipe) and I cannot thank her enough for sharing her herbs!! This is what I made once home.

The sauce was an improvisation - and OH MY, what else can I put this on??? It was so good. Sweet at first, but then a substantial kick on the back of the tongue makes it quite addicting.

Grilled Basil Shrimp with Raspberry-Chipotle Dipping Sauce:
(serves 2 as a heavy appetizer or light entree, or 4-6 as a light appetizer)

1 lb large shrimp (16-24 per lb)
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Fresh basil, chopped

Raspberry-Chipotle Dipping Sauce:
(makes more than you need, about 1.5 cups)

3 small cartons fresh raspberries
1 chipotle chili in adobe sauce, chopped
2 tbs (or to taste) brown sugar
1/4 c orange juice
Pinch salt

Directions:
Toss shrimp in oil, s&p and basil. Set aside.

Meanwhile, simmer sauce until well incorporated and all berries are liquefied. Strain and then blend in a blender or food processor. Set aside and keep at room temperature until shrimp is ready.

Heat a stove-top grill or grill. Grill shrimp just until done, serve with dipping sauce.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks so good and I'm so impressed! I wish I had more shrimp so I can make this sauce. Maybe next weekend...

Patricia Scarpin said...

That is some unusual and great looking sauce, Kirsten!

Peabody said...

It's always so fun to meet up with other food bloggers!
Your shrimp looks devine.

Kelly-Jane said...

Realy unusual and looks great :)

Kirsten said...

Thanks Chrissy! I was thinking it would be great too as an unusual BBQ sauce - like brushed over the meat at the last minute to glaze the meat?

Thanks Patricia, Peabody and Kelly-Jane. :)

It is SO fun to meet food bloggers - maybe someday I'll meet some of you!

Nora B. said...

Your dipping sauce sounds great. Very original.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That looks incredible!

Steve said...

Delicious! I used frozen raspberries (cheaper), and cilantro instead of basil on the shrimp. I halved the amounts, and still made enough to use as a glaze tomorrow night on chicken!

Anonymous said...

I make a shrimp taco with raspberry-chipotle sauce, red cabbage and avocado. You might like it!