Thursday, October 04, 2007

Grilled Scallops over Rosemary Polenta


Today I had a lunch meeting with a colleague that we had rescheduled three times and finally made happen. This is how things have been lately. Deadlines, meetings, dinner with friends, traveling and just about everything but cooking.

So today when I randomly ran into a loyal blog reader at my aforementioned lunch who just that morning had been musing about why I hadn't been cooking and blogging much...I felt the need to address my fewer-than-normal kitchen adventures.

I guess I have just been busy and sadly haven't been cooking as much. Adding to that, when I get busy I tend to cook old favorites. Roast chicken, herb buttered Cornish game hens and a braised lamb shank variation are just a few of the repeat favorites I've been cooking lately.

Tuesday night I made a new recipe of shrimp-stuffed sea bass and due to technical (photo) difficulties didn't post it...but the recipe will eventually make its way here, so I am on my way to being back on track.

Tonight I made this deceptively easy scallop recipe. From start to finish, including opening a bottle of pinot grigio and sauteing some sliced yellow squash for a side dish, this is a 10 minute entree. Perfect for even the busiest schedule.

Grilled Scallops over Rosemary Polenta:
(serves 2)

1 lb sea scallops (prefer jumbo, but buy whatever good ones you can find)
6-8 sturdy sprigs of fresh rosemary
Olive oil as needed
Salt and pepper
1 c dry polenta (course ground cornmeal) or cornmeal
3.5 c boiling reduced sodium (or homemade) chicken broth
1/4 c (or more) 2% Greek yogurt (or use cream)
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2-4 tbs fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Bring broth to a boil. Skewer scallops with rosemary sprigs, season with salt and pepper, rub with olive oil and pre-heat a grill pan.

Grill skewers one side at a time over medium heat, meanwhile whisk cornmeal into the boiling broth, whisking continuously (or lumps may form). Stir until thickened slightly, then remove from heat, cover and let stand (add 5 more minutes if using polenta instead of basic cornmeal). Turn skewers over, continue to grill.

Stir cheese, salt and pepper to taste and Greek yogurt into polenta until creamy and well-blended. Taste and adjust seasonings. Spoon polenta onto plates or shallow bowls, top with scallop skewers. Serve immediately.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks so great! I almost made polenta tonight as well. I've been dieing to make a recipe based off of a dish I had at Dino in D.C. but I figured I'd wait until Sunday. I love how simple and delicious you've made this. I adore scallops and its been too long since I've had any. See you Saturday - I cannot wait!

Peabody said...

Mmm, those look wonderful. I am interested in seeing the sea bass stuffed shrimp though.

Mo said...

Yum, I love scallops! This looks like a great way to use my overgrown rosemary.

I'm with Peabody, I also can't wait to see the shrimp-stuffed sea bass. :)

Deborah said...

Your food is always so elegant! And, yeah, I want to see the shrimp and sea bass recipe too!

Anonymous said...

This looks beautiful and delicious--the kind of dish that, while simple and quick to make, is sure to impress when it's served. I love the rosemary sprigs as skewers. And scallops so readily take on flavors I'm sure these were fabulous.

Mo said...

PS- I forgot to ask - what kind of wine did you/would you serve with this dish?

Kirsten said...

Hi Chrissy!! How did you like Dino? I loved it! See you later!

Thanks Peabody - I will be posting that recipe soon. :)

Hi Mo! I served it with a cheap and cheerful Pinot Grigio from Sprouts - can't even remember the name, but it worked well with the recipe.

Thanks Deborah and Terry!

Buy Maxocum said...

wow nice food and blog .. i like it too much

Increase ejaculation volume pills said...

I'm with Peabody, I also can't wait to see the shrimp-stuffed sea bass. :)

sex shop woman said...

It cannot have effect in reality, that is what I consider.

Zetaclear Nail Fungus Product said...

This is really yummy. i just loved it. As I am a food lover, I just loved your blog. Thumbs up to you.

Caliplus erectile dysfunction drug review said...

Tuesday night I made a new recipe of shrimp-stuffed sea bass and due to technical

Buy GenFX dietary supplement said...

This delicious food looks so terribly good.I would live to try at home.It will be an incredible one.

hcg buy online said...

This looks so great! I almost made polenta tonight as well. HCG Blue Drops, the Faster and Natural way to lose weight...

Vitolax best natural laxative said...

Nice;y written. thanks for share .

Delay prevent premature ejaculation product said...

Alton Brown doing something on fromage forte on one of his cheese episodes.

Hoodia best rated diet pills said...

This is delicious dish.I wish I could make it at home.Everyone will like it definitely.

Best Grills 2012 said...

This dish looks very very tasty ... i think i'm gonna finish this comment and go to kitchen and at least try to prepare scallops!