Monday, November 26, 2007

Roasted Pork Loin with Cranberry-Onion Relish


Still on the delicious (yet un-photogenic) holiday cooking theme, I made this for a cozy Sunday evening to eat while enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree, twinkling lights, candles and (finally!) some cooler weather.

I love the holiday season!

Roasted Pork Loin with Cranberry-Onion Relish:
(serves 4)

3 lb pork loin roast
1/4 c kosher salt
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tbs black pepper
4 c (or more) warm water
1 c white wine
1 c chicken broth
2 large onions
1 c fresh cranberries
1 c brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for brushing

Directions:
Combine kosher salt, brown sugar, black pepper and water in a ziplock bag or large bowl. Stir to combine. Add pork roast, make small slits into roast with a very sharp knife. Allow roast to soak covered in brining liquid for 4-8 hours in the refrigerator.

When preparing to cook, pre-heat oven to 425. Remove roast from brine, do not rinse, but allow to stand at room temperature until dry.

Meanwhile, slice onions into thin half-moon shapes (half of a ring), then spread on bottom of baking dish. Salt and pepper liberally, then add cranberries, then sprinkle brown sugar evenly over then entire mixture. Top with pork roast. Brush roast with olive oil, then salt and pepper liberally.

Bring broth and white wine mixture to a low boil. Spoon liquid over vegetables around roast, just enough to ensure the bottom of the pan is covered in a thin layer of liquid.

Roast at 425, uncovered, basting every 10 minutes with remaining wine/broth mixture. Using a meat thermometer, remove roast when temperature reaches 140. Let stand, loosely tented with foil, for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with onion-cranberry mixture.

8 comments:

Peabody said...

I would love to eat this by my twinkling tree...yum!

Unknown said...

I love the holiday season too - its so nice to relax in the house with the twinkling lights the glow of some candles and a wonderful meal. This looks divine and I'll be trying it soon. Dave is sick of all things turkey so this may make his day.

Freya said...

A delicious pork dish, made with my favourite cut! I love the idea of eating this with Christmas lights twinkling.
Is it me, or is everyone getting festive early this year?

Christy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am dying for inspiration for my menu for the week and this sounds just perfect! Add a Christmas tree and it can't get any better :)

Mo said...

I love, love the combination of pork and cranberries. I can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds terrific, Kirsten! How did the brining work out for you? I've brined pork in the past and, while sometimes it's delicious, the combination of salt and sugar can sometimes make it taste like ham. Not that ham's bad, but if I want a ham flavor, I'll buy ham.

Suzana Parreira said...

I love cranberries - unfortunately it's quite difficult to get them where I live... Also a nice colours' combination!

Nora B. said...

Hi Kirsten,
The relish is a great idea. Very festive indeed.

Nora