Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Creamy Corn Chowder with Pearl Onions


I am still sick, so a hearty soup with whatever was residing in the pantry sounded great tonight. The chowder has a lot of texture and a nice balance between sweet and savory. Plus, with no cream and without a roux base, it's pretty healthy too.

Creamy Corn Chowder with Pearl Onions:
(serves 4-6)

8-10 oz white pearl onions, peeled and halved
4 c yellow corn kernels (canned & drained, frozen or fresh work fine)
6 c milk (whole milk preferred to avoid curdling)
Olive oil as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated cheddar cheese (optional)
Chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Saute halved onions in olive oil until golden brown. Salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, heat corn kernels with a small amount of olive oil in a stock pot. Add onions and continue to cook. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Taste and salt and pepper as needed.

Remove spoonfuls of the soup at a time to a blender to puree, then return to mixture (or use an immersion blender). The goal is to puree enough soup (in batches) to get a creamy chowder-like consistency, but leave enough corn and onions whole for texture.

If desired, stir in some grated cheese before serving. Stir in some fresh parsley and serve immediately. Top with grated cheese and additional parsley if desired.

9 comments:

Lis said...

Oh man that sounds soooo good! And bless your heart for cooking when you are sick! I hope you feel better soon =)

Patricia Scarpin said...

This is the kind of soup I'd love to have when the winter comes!

I hope you're 100% better again soon, dear Kirsten!

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious and satisfying, especially if you're under the weather. I hadn't heard about whole milk preventing curdling before--thanks for the tip!

Kirsten said...

Thanks Lis and Patricia and Terry, I am on tons of medications from my doctor, so I should be feeling better very soon!

Almost Vegetarian said...

Onions, in all their varieties, are so delightful, aren't they. From sweet vidalla to spanish, shallots (or course, shallots) and, in this case, pearl. Quite tempting, especially, in a soup. It just sounds lovely. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Look at that soup! It looks amazing. I love creamy soups. This is a must try!
I hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious. Have you found an easy way to peel pearl onions? It sound like it could be quite an undertaking.

Kirsten said...

Hi Silverbear,

No, still haven't found a good way to peel pearl onions. I just cut them in half and lopped the ends off and worst case scenario, took off the whole outer layer of the onion if I had to. Not perfect, but for a soup it worked.

Those things are delicious, but a royal pain. :)

Peabody said...

What an unusual soup...no cream. When I'm sick I need cream :) Heck, when I am healthy I need cream :)
Hope you are feeling better, as some one who just got over the crud I know it is no fun.