Monday, February 19, 2007

Texas Chili


Texas chili purists may not agree that this recipe qualifies for its name. But the main ingredient is beef, there are no beans and no tomato, so I think it has to at least land somewhere in the range of authentic Texas red.

I actually prefer beans and tomatoes in my chili, but this alternative version made my self-professed bean hater boyfriend happy, and it was a very good version of chili that I'll make again. Hot but not fire-hot and with a touch of sweetness, this is a meat lovers chili.

Texas Chili:
(serves 6)

3 lb piece beef chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (fat trimmed)
3-4 large bell peppers, diced finely (I used red and green)
2 large red onions, diced finely
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 12 oz bottle beer
2 c water
1/4 c chili powder
1/4 c ground cumin
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for browning meat

Directions:
Brown beef in olive oil over medium high heat. Add peppers, onions and garlic and cook until they begin to soften. Add chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper. Add sugar and cinnamon and stir well to disperse spices. Add water and beer and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.

Simmer for about 2 hours loosely covered until beef is very tender and the sauce has thickened. You can adjust seasonings as you go.

Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, green onions, jalapenos, tortilla chips or tortillas or whatever you prefer!

5 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Well, I have no ties to Texas, but cinnamon, chili, brown sugar, and beer sounds dynamite to me. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

My husband would LOVE this! He doesn't like chili because he doesn't like beans and isn't a fan of tomatoes. This would be the chili for him! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kirsten said...

Thanks Susan!

Kristen - how funny! My boyfriend swore he didn't like chili, but I actually was able to pinpoint the issue on beans and the tomato sauce, just like your husband. He will like this chili! :)

Lis said...

That looks killer! I am of the bean hating minority as well, so this would be right up my alley - now if I can talk him into letting me make a chili without beans... hehe

Peabody said...

This is the type of chili my hubby loves...all meat. Which is sad because I love all beans...so not a good chili match for us. :)