Thursday, April 26, 2007

Always thinking...even if it's just about food

One of my favorite fellow food bloggers Lis, who writes La Mia Cucina who is a hilarious and talented cook and writer and is constantly making the most decadent and delicious desserts, pastas and more, honored me with
The Thinking Blogger Award.




I am flattered beyond belief that my recipes, cocktails and musings made her list!

So, I am doing the same. Here are five of my favorite blogs that make me think - and why!

1. The Technicolor Kitchen by Patricia Scarpin, a blogger who has been a passionate cook since the age of 11 and resides in São Paulo, Brazil. I read the English version of her blog, and her unique perspective on food, cooking and ingredients makes me think. Also, the translation of recipes from metric in some instances literally makes me think - and use math! :)


2. A very new blog here in Phoenix, Arizona called PHX Rail Food written by a fellow food lover and is about restaurants around the stops of the new Metro Rail system in Phoenix, slated to be running by 2008. I know it's unfathomable as the 6th largest city in the United States, but the only public transportation we have is an only so-so bus system, so a modern rail transit system is so exciting for our city, especially downtown Phoenix, and this blog makes me think about city life, supporting independent restaurants and supporting the right kind of growth in Phoenix. Looking forward to new restaurants listed and riding the rail once it launches!

3. Freya and Paul from Writing at the Kitchen Table for their intelligent and laugh-out-loud tales of cooking and married life in a country far from mine. They get me thinking about new ingredients, different lifestyles and what married life is like! Plus they often post fun comments on my blog, once again getting me thinking that this is a public diary and I do have readers! :)

4. My dear Peabody, author of Culinary Concoctions by Peabody, who has been a loyal reader of my blog for a while, and who is constantly making me think about the hows and whys of baking and food photography. Plus, she used to live in Phoenix, so she makes me think about changes to the Phoenix area in the food world since she was living here. Lastly, she makes me think how ANYONE can be that effortlessly talented with pastry/baking!! Just today she posted a recipe and some mouth-watering photos for Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes...I mean!

5. Another local blogger, Seth Chadwick of Feasting in Phoenix, a local guy who freely admits he's just an average guy who is not paid by anyone but just loves to try restaurants and shares his thoughts with the world. People love him for his honest, every-man reviews. He gets me thinking about restaurants I have forgotten, places I have never been and all of the many, many facets of good restaurants - and it isn't always just about the food!

If I named your blog, here is what you are supposed to do:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kirsten,

Thanks for the blog award. I am honored and very touched by what you said about my blog. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

I will try to "pay it forward" but it may be a few days as I am having some administrative problems with my blog and need to work on those for the time being. That is, once I get my pressing work load under some form of management.

In any event, thank you again, Kirsten. You brought a smile to my face. And it was great meeting you at Fry Bread House.

Freya said...

Kirsten, we too are honored to receive the award! There are so many great food bloggers out there so it makes this even more special! I agree with your choice of the other four though! Thanks again and have a great weekend! We'll do our reciprocal post over the weekend!

Lis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lis said...

Excellent list, Kirsten! I totally agree with Peabody, Patricia, Freya and Paul - they are all amazing people =)) And I really look forward to reading Seth and the PHX Rail Food blog - even though I'm way far away I love reading about restaurants in other parts of the world!

xoxo

Patricia Scarpin said...

Kirsten,

I can't tell you how happy I am with this - you really made my day! Or my month! ;)

Thank you for the lovely words - being considered a good blogger by the people I admire (you!) is such an amazing thing. It makes me feel like improving my skills more and more everyday!

Hugs,
Patricia.

Kirsten said...

Hi Seth, you are very welcome! I really meant it all - and I love supporting other bloggers, especially ones that I have shared a meal with at Fry Bread House! :)

No worries on tech issues - no hurry or pressure at all on "paying it forward." Have a great weekend!

Hi Freya and Paul! You deserved the honor - your blog is great. Can't wait to see your list of picks!

Thanks Lis for awarding me and for your comment. :)

Patricia - you are most welcome - I just love reading about new things on your blog and seeing your creative approach.

Loli Go said...

Hi Kirsten - I always look forward to reading your blogs. I not only get to discover new delicious and wonderful recipes from you (and your fellow bloggers), but I get to read about your daily experiences (I bet you were in heaven when you met Giada)!

I also have my eye on a blogger you mentioned that definitely piques my interest. METRO Light Rail and restaurants will definitely go hand in hand in 2008! :-)

Ohhh - The Fry Bread House - the hubby and I LOVE that place - you know that is a hop, skip, and a jump away from our house (it's dangerous)! Have a great weekend, and that drink just reminded me of how much I love vodka and grapefruit!

Anonymous said...

PHX Rail Food is not yet a month old, so this type of recognition is most appreciated. Like Seth said, I hope to pay this forward, but I need to give some serious thought as to who is making me think these days. Of course, your blog is always a favorite of mine, but I don't think we're supposed to "tag back."

Kirsten said...

Hi DHC!

I FINALLY figured out who you are...thanks for being a loyal reader and for stopping in to comment.

Meeting Giada was SO cool and so inspiring!

Isn't the new restaurant/METRO blog the best idea ever? He is downplaying it, but I am very excited for its potential.

FBH too close can be scary...but good. You guys could always walk or bike there and feel slightly less naughty, right?

xoxo,
Kirsten

p.s. sorry I missed lunch last week - we'll need to get together again soon, maybe Cibo or Fate or something else in the vicinity.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you picked fellow food bloggers. When it came time for me to do it, I couldn't narrow down the food blogs I loved to five and I didn't want to leave anyone out, so I did non-food blogs. You chose some great ones!

PS - I lied about having my Giada post up last week. Oooops! I will have it up this week, I promise :)

Kirsten said...

Thanks Kristen! It was VERY hard to narrow down the list of food bloggers, there are so many great ones, and it seems like new ones sprouting up every day.

Can't WAIT for your Giada post, I keep checking back for it. :)

Peabody said...

Thank you...but I could say the same for you. You always have me thinking I should be eating more fish...especially given where I live now.

Kirsten said...

Hi Peabody!! You are most welcome! Yes, you lucky girl, fish where you live (and coffee, and wine for that matter) is SOO wonderful. :)

Hopefully I'll keep you thinking of good fish ideas that you can do even better with your local fresh fish!

Kirsten