Friday, December 08, 2006

Classic Oatmeal Cookies with White & Dark Chocolate, Almonds and Cranberries


Adapted from the Famous Quaker Oat Oatmeal Cookie recipe that is printed on boxes of Quaker Oats, and taking inspiration from cookies I have had at Bertha's Cafe - a charming independent sandwich shop and bakery in Phoenix - I made these for holiday gift giving.

They are my type of cookie - slightly chewy and just salty enough to balance the sweetness of the two types of chocolate. I like the addition of slivered almonds for extra texture and crunch.

Oatmeal Cookies with White & Dark Chocolate Chips, Almonds & Cranberries:
(makes 4 dozen)

1 c light brown sugar, packed
1/2 c white sugar
1.5 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
1 egg
1/4 c water
2 tsp vanilla
3 c oats
1 c flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c white chocolate chips
1/2 c dark chocolate chips
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c slivered almonds

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Mix butter with both sugars until well incorporated. Add egg, water and vanilla and stir.

Mix all dry ingredients in another bowl, then add to wet ingredients and stir to combine.

Add chocolate chips, cranberries & almonds and fold into batter.

Drop 1 tbs of batter onto baking sheet, leaving enough space between each one so they don't turn into one big cookie while baking.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, remove and let cook on a wire rack.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look soo good! Definitely bookmarking to try :D

Anonymous said...

I've used that oat meal cookie recipe for years as my chocolate chip cookie. Now you're showing me how much I've been missing out and all you've done is had more good stuff. These really must make an appearance while my boys are here for Christmas! I'm so into cranberries this year.

Anonymous said...

Way to get in there and bake!

Kirsten said...

Thanks Trini and Tanna and Peabody for stopping in and checking out the cookies. They turned out so good that I am making them right now for my annual cookie exchange tomorrow. 10 dozen, so I'll be baking for a while. :)