Sunday, December 17, 2006

Roasted Parsnips


Trader Joe's had fresh parsnips today, and after realizing honestly that I may have never had parsnips, I had to buy them. I chopped them up, tossed them with olive oil, S&P and chopped fresh rosemary and roasted them. Delicious, crunchy and slightly sweet, I'll be making these a lot more often.

Roasted Parsnips with Rosemary:
(serves 4)

1.5 lbs parsnips, ends trimmed and cut into uniform pieces
1/4 c olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400. Toss all ingredients in a large bowl and pour into a baking sheet. Roast until golden brown and crisp, about 45 minutes.

7 comments:

ByTheBay said...

Roasted parsnips are one of the most thoroughly tasty, underrated and underappreciated delicacies. I include them in my balsamic-rosemary roasted root vegetables:

http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006/10/balsamic-honey-roasted-root-vegetables.html

Kirsten said...

I totally agree re: parsnips. Once they were done I wondered why I had never eaten them?

Your recipe looks so delicious, I will try that method!

Anonymous said...

I also saw these at TJ's and tried to think of creative uses for them. I remember once having a soup of roasted and pureed parsnips at a restaurant. I'm getting a new blender soon, and I will have to break it in with some parsnip soup.

Kirsten said...

Hi Silverbear - are you the same one from CH Southwest board? Thanks for checking out my blog. :)

Parsnip soup sounds SO delicious. I thought they tasted kind of like sweet potatoes (the light kind) only with a texture more like a carrot.

Happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm the same silverbear in both places.

Kirsten said...

Thanks for stopping by...not too many AZ bloggers, it's nice to see some online AZ foodies!

Deep Cleaning Columbia said...

Nice bllog post