Friday, December 22, 2006

Wild Mushroom Risotto


This risotto is very basic, made decadent by using imported wild mushrooms and real Parmegano Reggiano cheese. The Italian parsley adds a peppery zing, leave it out if you don't like the taste but I think it gives a nice clean bite to a creamy and rich risotto.

Wild Mushroom Risotto:
(serves 2)

1 c arborio rice
2-3 c chicken stock, warmed
1/2 c dried wild mushrooms, rinsed and soaking in 1 c hot water
2 tbs olive oil
1/3 c shallot, chopped finely
2 tbs Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
1/4 c white wine
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 c grated Parmegano Reggiano cheese

Directions:
Heat saute pan over high heat, add olive oil. Saute shallots until softened, add rice and saute until rice begins to be translucent around edges. Add wine, simmer, stirring until all liquid is absorbed. Add 1/2 c stock at a time, stirring constantly and not adding any more liquid until all has absorbed. Once rice is creamy and almost all liquid is absorbed, stir in mushroom soaking liquid and simmer until almost absorbed. Add mushrooms, cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with more grated cheese on top, if desired.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely delicious! Savory and filling...
Great photos.

Kirsten said...

Thanks Kristen! It is unseasonably cold here and pouring rain today, so it seemed like the perfect winter lunch.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Very hearty. Enjoy your day of cold weather... I know you don't get them that much.

Lis said...

I would like to sink into my sofa with my big comforter wrapped around me and a huge bowl of that risotto in my hand! My gawd does that look delish! :D

Carrie said...

This looks so yummy, I'm going to have to try to make it!

Wild Rice said...

You should do a wild rice recipe... I can send you a bag if you wish.

https://www.WildRice.com |